- Where do you serve and what is your role?
I serve at the Texas Baptist Children's Home as the minister of youth and recreation.
- Most influential book you've read in the past two years?
No More Excuses by Tony Evans
- What I love most about youth ministry is . . .
Building relationships with youth. I love the aspect of community building because it creates deep and lasting bonds. Despite the brokenness in the world, the kids I work with are great to be around, and as they come and go, the memories I make with them are life long, and will never leave.
- If I could see anyone in concert it would be . . .
- If I could go anywhere on vacation it would be to . . . (and why you would go there)
I would go somewhere in Africa because I think it would be a wonderful experience to visit and see the beauty of the landscape and meet the people there.
- One thing that about me that surprises most people is . . .
I enjoy cooking!
- Tell us about your call to ministry.
I had run from my call to ministry from an early age. My dad, and grandfather were in ministry, and I wanted nothing to do with it. After avoiding my call for many years, I came to a point in my life where I was broken and hurting, so I cried out to God and asked what the purpose was for all I had gone through. That night, I accepted my call with the realization that I would trust God to use me to help others with the same hurts and struggles I went through.
- What is one of your spiritual gifts and how does it impact your ministry?
I think a gift I have in ministry is patience. I think it definitely helps when working with youth (and parents) to have patience. I think it impacts my ministry because it helps to minimize some of the stress that can come with being impatient.
- Where is the best place to eat in your city?
I would say Torchy's Tacos!
- If someone gave you $1,000 for your youth ministry, what would you do with it?
I would design/decorate a room for our youth to have our Wednesday night groups. I think the atmosphere for worship/bible study plays a big part in the impact the gospel can have on reaching youth. I think if the environment is centered around them then they feel more a part of the spiritual programming, which can open doors for the gospel to take root.
- If someone gave you $1,000 what would you do with it?
I would take my wife on a weekend getaway, and also buy some tickets to the Texas OU football game!
- Top 3 hobbies you have (or things you enjoy in your free time)
Sports! (playing/watching), reading, being outdoors.
- Favorite passage of Scripture and why?
Romans 8:37-39 is my favorite passage of scripture because for me one thing that was hard for me to believe was that God could love someone like me. For so long I thought the things that happened in my life or the things I did would cancel the love God had for me. But this scripture is a great reminder for me that God's love for me transcends my life, my mistakes, or anything else in creation. It's so great to know that God's love for me is a constant in my life!
- If you could spend a day with any historical figure (not in the Bible) who would it be?
I would spend time with Dr. Martin Luther King. Besides his humanitarian and civil rights efforts I am fascinated by his use of words in speaking and preaching, and I think it would be awesome to learn about how he uses words so powerfully.
- If you could spend a day with anyone alive today who would it be?
I would spend a day with the president. I think it would be awesome to sit and talk with him. Not many people are able to do that, so it would be a great experience.
- What is your favorite thing about Conclave?
My favorite thing about Conclave is all the information I able to acquire. I have so much I want to learn about ministry to be the best I can be, and Conclave has taught me a lot about many different aspects ministry.