Courtney Williams serves as the Minister of Children, Youth, and Young Adult Discipleship at David Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Austin, TX.
1. Most influential book you've read in the past two years?
Having gone through two Masters Theological programs in the past 3 ½ years, I've read numerous interesting texts alongside the Bible, but the most influential book I've read in the past two years is probably "Spiritual Warfare: The Battle for God's Glory" by Jerry Rankin.
2. Who is the one person who has had the most impact on your ministry?
While my lifelong Pastor and biological father played a huge role in the foundation of my ministry and my current Pastor is shaping my ministry – my wife, Ranada Williams, has helped and continues to have the greatest impact as my primary partner in ministry.
3. What I love most about youth ministry is . . .
Seeing spiritual growth and reformation in the lives of youth as they discover their purpose in God.
4. If I could see anyone in concert it would be . . .
5. If I could go anywhere on vacation it would be to . . . (and why you would go there)
Bora Bora. My wife and I think it looks like one of the most beautiful places in the world … and we want to see fish underneath our floor!
6. One thing that about me that surprises most people is . . .
I'm a homebody that tends to shy away from large crowds.
7. Tell us about your call to ministry
It seems like too long a story to tell for a short bio! In short though, I was raised in the church as the youngest son of a pastor. Working and leading with a servant heart in and out of the church has been intentionally built-up in me.
8. What is one of your spiritual gifts and how does it impact your ministry?
One of my spiritual gifts is through music. My ability to relate through music and my love for music allows me to relate to many of the youth that I work with, regardless of the genre.
9. Where is the best place to eat in your city?
There are countless excellent restaurants in Austin. I could take the easy route and say anywhere my wife cooks. But an excellent restaurant in Austin is Carmelo's.
10. If someone gave you $1,000 for your youth ministry, what would you do with it?
I would use it to supplement funding for a mission trip.
11. If someone gave you $1,000 what would you do with it?
I'd likely buy gifts for my wife and kids.
12. Top 3 hobbies you have (or things you enjoy in your free time):
Basketball, playing bass guitar, spending time with my wife and kids
13. Favorite passage of Scripture and why?
Philippians 4:12-13 – It is reflective of my personal testament of faith. Learning to be content with any situation has also allowed me to focus more on God's plan for me, with contentment with where I am. The scripture also reminds me to REMAIN content in God no matter what state I'm in because all things work together for the good of those called by God and according to His purpose.
14. If you could spend a day with any historical figure (not in the Bible) who would it be?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. If you could spend a day with anyone alive today who would it be?
16. What is your favorite thing about Conclave?
I enjoy the fellowship and the opportunity to be refreshed and encouraged in our ministries. Working in Youth Ministry can feel like you're on an island sometimes. Sharing our struggles and triumphs to help each other grow and persevere helped me to return home with more excitement.