Mike Vasquez is the youth pastor at First Baptist Church Hondo.
1. Most influential book you've read in the past two years?
"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan
2. Who is the one person who has had the most impact on your ministry?
My home pastor, Bob McCarter. Pastor Bob taught/modeled what it meant to love the church, and what it meant to invest in relationships.
3. What I love most about youth ministry is . . .
I love students. They are the present and they are the future. Watching them grow and develop into men and women of God is my favorite thing.
4. If I could see anyone in concert it would be . . .
5. If I could go anywhere on vacation it would be to . . . (and why you would go there)
Washington DC to visit the museums.
6. One thing that about me that surprises most people is . . .
I'm kind of a big nerd.
7. Tell us about your call to ministry
God called me into ministry after the summer of 6th grade. I was at a Royal Ambassadors Camp and the pastor was sharing the story of Christ's crucifixion. I'd heard the story many times before, but that night something clicked. I thought, "Wow! He did that for me? He did that for all of us! There are people who don't know this. I need to go tell them."
8. What is one of your spiritual gifts and how does it impact your ministry?
Exhortation. One of the things I do well is encourage students. Being a teenage Christian can be pretty difficult so I do quite a bit encouraging in my ministry.
9. Where is the best place to eat in your city?
Hermman Sons Steakhouse
10. If someone gave you $1,000 for your youth ministry, what would you do with it?
Hire a summer intern
11. If someone gave you $1,000 what would you do with it?
Buy some furniture for our house
12. Top 3 hobbies you have (or things you enjoy in your free time)
Playing video games
13. Favorite passage of Scripture and why?
This passage helps me to put things into perspective. Is God my heart's desire?
14. If you could spend a day with any historical figure (not in the Bible) who would it be?
15. If you could spend a day with anyone alive today who would it be?
Ravi Zacharias (Or David Robinson)
16. What is your favorite thing about Conclave?
I like networking and meeting people that can be a speaker or worship leader for a camp or retreat.