The North American Mission Board “SEND Relief” is operating a Volunteer Housing/Reception Center in Gonzales, LA to assist families affected by the September flooding in the Southeast part of the state. Over 40,000 homes flooded leaving a path of destruction across 14 different Parishes (Counties).
Volunteers are needed to repair homes in the Greater Baton Rouge area.
“No Yellow Cap training is needed for this long term disaster recovery project,” said Cathy Miller of NAMB, who is coordinating this effort along with a wonderful team of faithful volunteers. Miller encourages volunteers to join this effort and really see people with their hearts.
“Providing a hug and an encouraging word does wonders for these folks who are hurting so much, many have lost everything,” Miller said.
One example of a family needing assistance is a couple who are both pastors in the Baton Rouge area. Their home endured three feet of water. The family is also facing medical issues.
Another victim receiving assistance is an elderly single woman whose home was flooded to the ceiling. Teams are installing sheetrock in all the rooms of this home.
These are just two of the thousands who are in the long term recovery/rebuild stage of this disaster. Here are some guidelines and information for potential volunteer teams:
- Volunteers, ages 14 and up, are needed to help install sheetrock, insulation, tape, bed, float and paint. Some mud out and debris removal is still needed.
- This opportunity is great for all types of groups who can swing a hammer or are willing to learn a new skill.
- All tools are provided.
- The SEND Relief housing is located at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center, 9039 S. St. Landry Ave., Gonzales, Louisiana.
- Cost $25 per night and includes housing and meals. Housing accommodations include cots for sleeping and showers. Teams will need to bring their own bedding.
- This area is only an hour from the International Airport in New Orleans. Travel in and out is very easy. Teams are needed through mid-December.
For more information, contact Marla Bearden with Texas Baptist Men Long Term Disaster Recovery at 214-537-7358. To register your group call 770-410-6287.