We Texans like claiming things. I guess all states do, but who really cares that much about the state whatever of Oklahoma?
- Texas state flower: bluebonnet
- Texas state bird: mockingbird
- Texas state large animal: longhorn
- Texas state small animal: armadillo
- Texas state amphibian: Texas toad
- Texas state insect: monarch butterfly
- Texas state tree: pecan
- Texas state dish: chili
- Texas state cobbler: peach
- Texas state fruit: Texas red grapefruit
- Texas state flying mammal: Mexican free-tailed bat
If you want a much longer list of official Texas state items, click here.
A new official state item is in the works. This year, a representative from Houston started an effort to get the cowboy hat named as the state hat. Well, with the state sport as rodeo, what else would our hat be?